Thursday, December 20, 2012

iTunesU: K-12

I remember the first time I signed into iTunes. I was on an HP in Togiak, AK thinking to myself, "What is this Apple stuff?" I was a PC user my entire life and recently bought an iPod 1st Gen with who knows how much storage (500 songs??). I wasn't happy about using iTunes mainly because all of my music was from LimeWire or Napster or whatever it was back in 2005...

Soon I realized, first with an Apple computer for work, then with an Apple music player, that Apple was not just an overpriced computer company, they were a movement. I know, I know, I sound like a cult member, but it was true. Since that login to iTunes that fateful day I have become more and more saturated by Apple products in my every day life. I now have an iPad, shuffle, and MacBook Pro in addition to the Apple TVs, iPads, iPods, laptops, and desktops  I use at work on a daily basis. I have had my qualms over the years about how locked down iTunes is and how rigid some of their policies are, but overall I find it beneficial as it maintains the highest standards in product and application development. You may be wondering why I didn't mention an iPhone... I prefer the Galaxy SII, and am looking at getting the SIII. Proof I still have an open mind!







Diving in headfirst to the Apple KoolAid is tough, but let me tell you why I do what I do. I'll use iTunesU as an example. If one were so inclined, one could search the iTunes Store for iTunesU courses. These courses may be hosted by Harvard, Yale, or even Lower Yukon School District. You can find lecture series' about everything from Constitutional Law to Yup'ik language. All for free!!

If you were to subscribe to these courses, from an iOS device, for example, you could then download books, apps, audio, and video from these sources; essentially auditing the course at no cost. If you would like to try it out open your iTunes from an iPad or computer and search the Store for LYSD. Once you find it in iTunesU, subscribe to the Yup'ik Level One Collection. These sounds will teach you about 100 site words in Yup'ik! Try it out... Let me know what I can do to make it easier, more effective, or more educationally relavent.


Click Here for the LYSD iTunesU account.

Be sure to subscribe and don't forget about LYSD's other offerings online:
Facebook
YouTube
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment